Friday, January 29, 2010

Corinne Bailey Rae | The Sea

When Corinne Bailey Rae's self-titled debut album came out in 2006, millions went crazy for it and this bright new voice from the UK. "Put Your Records On" and "Like A Star" became hit singles and the album was nominated for multiple Grammies and Brit Awards. As big and accomplished as that album was, nothing could have prepared us for the monumental acheivement of Bailey Rae's new album "The Sea".

As I listened, I keep asking myself, "Is anyone else doing anything like this"? The record breaks through and rises above any idea of genre. It's completely unique. Her influences are clear - jazz, soul, r&b, singer-songwriter - but as Bailey Rae writes in the song "Diving For Hearts", "I long to keep on diving until my heart is found". That's what she has done and the fearlessness of her pursuit has translated into the most compelling album of the new year.

I'll feature tracks from "The Sea" tonite at 9 p.m. ET on mvyradio's Uncharted Waters.

Listen to some clips from the CD here:



0 comments:

Post a Comment