Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best Of mvyradio's Uncharted Waters 2009 Final!

Okay, I know, it's over ---2009. We've counted down the Top 25 (check the list here) and we're already five days into 2010. But I have the song list for part 3 of UW Best Of '09 and another artist to praise.


One sure way to realize how you feel about a record is where said record ends up ---physically, I mean. I'm on vacation in Florida (it's not as cold as many other locales this morning, but it's not exactly beach weather!!) and before I left home, I loaded some CD's into iTunes on my computer and brought a few to listen to in the rental car. Madeleine Peyroux's "Bare Bones" came with me both on my computer, and by chance, tucked inside a Mozart Piano Quartets CD jewel case.


So, as I drove around Delray, I listened for the ?? time to this one-of-a-kind album by one of today's most intriguing songwriters. Collaboration, introspection, playfulness, precision, sonic intuition, understatement ---I could go on and on. I am once again reminded of why I'm a music fan, and a fan of all artistic expression. To be happily marooned in a new, yet familiar world. The skillful and easy connection the artist provides, the bridges they make. Madeleine Peyroux is an artist creating her art for herself and her fans, but it feels like it's just for me.

Listen to clips of "Bare Bones" here:



Friday/Sunday January 1/3 2010 - Best of Uncharted Waters 2009 part 3

"Fairlie" Rey Fresco The People Eight O Five
"I Should Speak" Sarah Blacker The Only Way Out Is Through Sarah Blacker
"Get Lucky" Mark Knopfler Get Lucky Reprise Records
"Videotape" King Wilkie King Wilkie Presents The King Wilkie Family Singers Casa Nueva
"Wilco (the song)" Wilco Wilco (the album) Nonesuch
"Homeless Happiness" Madeleine Peyroux Bare Bones Rounder
"Time Stands Still" Chris Smither Time Stands Still Signature Sounds
"Oh, No" Andrew Bird Noble Beast Fat Possum Records
"Bury Me Under The Weeping Willow" Roseanne Cash The List Manhattan
"Groove Of the Storm" Kellar Williams Odd kw enterprises
"Jackdaw" David Gray Draw The Line Mercer Street Records
"Fan It" Willie Nelson and Asleep At the Wheel Willie & The Wheel Bismeaux Records
"Cedars Of Lebanon" U2 No Line On The Horizon Interscope
"Horses" Dala Everyone Is Someone Campus Music

0 comments:

Post a Comment